World of Warcraft: Warlords of Draenor (PC)

Entertainment discussion includes music, movies, TV, video games, celebrities, etc.

World of Warcraft: Warlords of Draenor (PC)

Postby davepoobond » Sun Oct 19, 2014 9:58 pm

So I've played this game since about 2008 consistently as a raider. Past couple years, I moved back to a casual raider because I started a full time job around then and it was hard for me to keep up with raiding seriously at the same time.

I started getting back into it, as Warlord of Draenor is on the cusp of being released. I don't really have plans on raiding again, but I've been a casual backup for a little while now and I get to "experience" the content while not having to do all of the leg work of wiping for hours on end, which can be nice, but I sort of miss the feeling of accomplishment you get from beating a boss you've been working on for a long time.

anyone else play?
davepoobond
Squackle Master

Re: World of Warcraft: Warlords of Draenor (PC)

Postby terrisus » Mon Oct 20, 2014 7:53 am

I tried it for a couple of months around the time Cataclysm came out.
It was alright, played up through like Level 30 or something.
Got bored of it pretty quickly though.

After years before playing MUDs, Ultima Online, and EverQuest, World of Warcraft just wasn't that interesting.
EverQuest 1 is still my favorite MMORPG (and still love playing on private servers, like Project 1999)
MUDs are the best though.
terrisus
Squackleet

Postby davepoobond » Mon Oct 20, 2014 3:26 pm

Cata is pretty much universally considered the worst expansion to come to the game. I'd suggest trying again, but you'd have to get through the higher levels to see the better parts of the game. I suppose the leveling experience isn't as crusty as it was, and by all accounts its probably actually good, just wasn't good for the higher-level players that didn't like alts that much.

Its the one and only MMO i really put time into other than very little of Star Trek Online.
davepoobond
Squackle Master

Postby terrisus » Mon Oct 20, 2014 7:10 pm

The thing with levelling is, in MMORPGs, the main reason I like levelling is that, once you've done so, you can spend time in an area really exploring and looking around.
In World of Warcraft, I felt like things (quests and such) just kind of funnelled you from one area to the next, where, once you were done with the stuff in one area, you moved onto the next, and didn't really see that area again much.

I suppose there's nothing stopping you from going back there, but I just never saw much reason to go back to most areas.
Whereas, with EverQuest, I spent a whole bunch of time in a whole bunch of areas.
terrisus
Squackleet

Postby davepoobond » Tue Oct 21, 2014 12:55 pm

There's something called Archaeology that you might fancy. You go to "dig sites" and kind of take in the area that its in as you are trying to discover some pieces of a treasure you are trying to assemble.

It used to be more "explorative" in vanilla, with lots of random things seemingly hidden or strange or antiquated end-game content, so it was a lot of fun discovering the random quest hubs or whatever. Leveling has changed a lot to get you to the end game, now, so it is kind of a pointless exercise other than getting to max level and getting slowly acclimated to skills.
davepoobond
Squackle Master

Postby terrisus » Tue Oct 21, 2014 1:16 pm

davepoobond wrote:Leveling has changed a lot to get you to the end game, now, so it is kind of a pointless exercise other than getting to max level and getting slowly acclimated to skills.

Yeah, that's kind of how I felt.
And, frankly, I don't really care enough to get to max level :arrow:

Archaeology sounds interesting, but probably not enough to go back for.
terrisus
Squackleet

Postby davepoobond » Tue Oct 21, 2014 1:18 pm

I personally don't like it very much because of the amount of travel time involved.

The appeal of the game has always been raiding to me. Its become an important social thing for me, and i waste time with the questing/achievement stuff every now and again, which was a secondary enjoyment thing, along with the lore.

Raiding has always been the main appeal of the game for me, and since I don't do it anymore I don't really put in as many hours as I used to. I think I'm at like 230 days or something.
davepoobond
Squackle Master

Postby terrisus » Tue Oct 21, 2014 1:24 pm

I love walking around and exploring.
Raiding/social stuff is boring/stressful/frustrating to me.

Honestly, I play MMORPGs more as a single-player experience... :?
terrisus
Squackleet

Postby davepoobond » Tue Oct 21, 2014 1:27 pm

I've been doing that with Star Trek Online, pretty much. I really enjoy Star Trek and it is essentially the only sequel to the prime universe we have at the moment, so the events and callbacks to unfinished storylines is enjoyable. They also seem to add more planets and sectors every now and again, so that's cool.

The only good part of the game is the space combat. If the ground combat were as good as WoW, I would be in heaven with that game :P

But this isnt a Star Trek Online thread. I guess I can make one of those if I care enough
davepoobond
Squackle Master

Postby terrisus » Tue Oct 21, 2014 1:53 pm

My time with online games is pretty much split between Legends of Terris (the MUD that I play) and EverQuest 1 (on a private server)

Also, this is your board. Who exactly's going to reprimand you for going off-topic? 8-)
terrisus
Squackleet

Postby davepoobond » Tue Oct 21, 2014 2:10 pm

I set high standards for everything I do with my web site, bro!

it actually doesn't matter that much for the forums... i set a lot of rules for myself on the web site proper, though, and I have to remember it all since its sort of hard to write down.
davepoobond
Squackle Master

Postby terrisus » Tue Oct 21, 2014 3:02 pm

A website with really strict rules, which are mostly stored in the mind of the person in charge as opposed to written down for others to understand?

What is this, GAF? :lol:
terrisus
Squackleet

Postby davepoobond » Tue Oct 21, 2014 3:18 pm

no one else needs to know them. they just happen.

kind of like gaf.
davepoobond
Squackle Master

Postby terrisus » Tue Oct 21, 2014 4:00 pm

davepoobond wrote:no one else needs to know them. they just happen.

kind of like gaf.

One day we'll just be happily posting away...

And then...

terrisus
Squackleet

Postby davepoobond » Tue Nov 18, 2014 12:11 am

so, anyway, warlords is probably the best expansion since lich king at this point. it might match lich king depending on how the raids play out.

the quests in MOP were a lot more diverse/"fun" than in wod, but wod's questing is generally more relevant to the core warcraft storylines.

the treasure finding, garrisons, and neat questing really makes it a unique experience from other wow expansions. it is very cool.
davepoobond
Squackle Master

Postby davepoobond » Sun Dec 21, 2014 12:20 pm

im starting to play other games again, i only log on everyday for about an hour or something.
davepoobond
Squackle Master

Return to Entertainment