Ye Olde Bulletin Board

Normal discussion forums. There is no such thing as "off topic" on these forums, so its Anything Dumb!

Ye Olde Bulletin Board

Postby davepoobond » Mon Oct 06, 2014 10:56 pm

For sake of continuity in the history of Squackle forums/bulletin boards, here is a link courtesy of the Wayback Machine of a browsable version of the bulletin board.

I think there are different captures of it, so its possible there are pages that aren't available on some dates that are available on others.

http://web.archive.org/web/200611270510 ... b/YaBB.cgi

i might bring some of the older popular topics back or something.

before having Squackle on Wordpress, I used only HTML files for the site -- i used the bulletin board as "profiles" for people submitting, and even linked directly to some of the content as content for the site. I think I got most of it put into the wordpress at some point, but who knows what could be missing :P
davepoobond
Squackle Master

Re: Ye Olde Bulletin Board

Postby Brakke » Tue Oct 07, 2014 9:44 am

Dear DPB, this webzone is fascinating to me. Can you give a history lesson of Squackle? Who are those people? How did anyone find this site in the first place?

How many sites did you survey before declaring this one the funniest?
Brakke
Squackle Newbie

Postby davepoobond » Tue Oct 07, 2014 2:20 pm

Brakke wrote:Dear DPB, this webzone is fascinating to me. Can you give a history lesson of Squackle? Who are those people?

Well, you can read more about that here:

http://squackle.com/about-me/
and
http://squackle.com/about-squackle/

As far as the bulletin board goes, those people are just random people who got into contact with me somehow and we built a community around the stuff on the site and creating more content for it. It was back before myspace/facebook stuff so it was harder to have a "web presence" and you couldn't really make a web site too easily because it usually cost money or was a lot of work. A lot of that is solved nowadays with places like wordpress.com and hosting that is cheap for unlimited space/bandwidth.

Squackle started out with a group of my friends from middle/high school, and I posted a bunch of stuff we just had, and then I got into the coffers of stuff that I had created/saved with no explicit purpose (such as SBC, and funny prank chats). Then I opened up the site to taking content submissions where a good portion of content came from, and as people got more engaged with creating content people became more invested in the site and it grew from there.

I imagine that Squackle was quite a bit more popular during the early 2000s, for whatever reason. There was a period of about 3 months during 2003/2004 where the site was completely down for some reason I had no control over. I wasn't paying for hosting at the time and was piggybacking on another guy's server that was giving me space for free, so I just had to hound the guy but he was giving it to me for free to begin with so I didn't have much to really do other than check in with him. I was afraid to ask my parents for money to pay for my own web server since they saw any of my computer time as frivolous despite being very productive during the time.

After that period, people got out of the habit of posting on the forums, and community died. Eventually the bulletin board got corrupted through the other moves I made and neglecting the bulletin board itself. I just deleted it a couple of years ago completely and its only on my hard drive, but its almost impossible to convert out the topics into something that can be transplanted into, for example, this existing forum since YaBB is not really supported very well and its an old version.

I don't think I even really recovered from that downtime, so who knows what would have happened to the site and my life if the popularity of it kept going.

Funny thing is early on in the life of Squackle someone suggested i used a "web log" way back when and it probably would have been way better to start like that instead of manually doing thousands of HTML files :(

How did anyone find this site in the first place?

pretty much only web searches. sometimes i would promote my web site in various ways like going into chat rooms or whatever, and just sharing a link to random people in a non-spam way.

I also generated some buzz by doing Game Maker reviews way back in the early 2000s for people's shitty games. Having someone post a review of their game was nice because it was some sort of "official review" of their game that people who made games like those back then would never dream of getting normally.

Its a bit different, now.

How many sites did you survey before declaring this one the funniest?

its called "puffery"

also, I looked at ebaumsworld and surmised that my site was better because i had Dacky Duck as the mascot

i wrote a lot.. i might add some of this to the "about" pages heh.
davepoobond
Squackle Master

Postby terrisus » Tue Oct 07, 2014 2:30 pm

Þe Olde Bulletin Board?
terrisus
Squackleet

Postby Freaky Fred » Tue Nov 18, 2014 11:51 pm

whoa, never saw this thread. about to read daveypoo's history lesson.
Freaky Fred
Squackleet

Postby Freaky Fred » Tue Nov 18, 2014 11:55 pm

just read dave's history lesson

all I can say is "whoa"
Freaky Fred
Squackleet

Postby davepoobond » Wed Nov 19, 2014 12:21 am

i mean, it isn't particularly interesting in the larger scope of things, but Squackle has been on the internet for so long and has had many "phases" of its existence and its always meant something to me personally.

I neglected it quite a bit during my early college years because of my work with GamersMark until about 2007. GamersMark ended up completely dying out, so that ended up being a waste of time other than the free games and writing skills I got while there.

i don't have the time to put 100% effort into the site anymore, since i actually have to support myself by making money, but I do what i can. Web hosting is cheap enough to keep the site up indefinitely lol.
davepoobond
Squackle Master

Postby terrisus » Wed Nov 19, 2014 9:01 am

Freaky Fred wrote:whoa, never saw this thread.

Never saw a sticky thread? :?
terrisus
Squackleet

Postby Spot On J2K » Thu Jun 25, 2015 9:50 am

this thread's too sticky. I keep washing my hands but it won't come off!
"The best food at the best price, Hardees is the place for me. I'm the Walkin' Talkin' Biscuit, but you can call me B!" COME ON HOME!!
Spot On J2K
Squackle Nut Case

Postby Wolfy » Fri Jun 26, 2015 9:18 pm

davepoobond wrote:
Dacky Duck

You have Dacky on a t-shirt.
Wolfy
Squackle Nut Case

Return to Anything Dumb (The AD)